If given the option to live in a tiny apartment located in a prime part of town- or a mini mansion constructed in the suburbs- I would have to go with the first option. And, I don't think I'm the only one... A lot of us are opting for smaller spaces in order to be in the city- namely expensive cities like Los Angeles where a one bedroom in Hollywood can run you about $1,000 a month. But that's okay! There are plenty of creative ways to get our lives a little more compacted. Take a look at some lovely examples of spaces who are used to their full potential- all found on apartment therapy's Tiny Spaces Contest!
Ten Tips for Small Spaces from Apartment Therapy
1. Remove your interior doors (use curtains instead on closets and doors).
2. Replace your big refrigerator with a smaller, undercounter model. It's more than enough room.
3. Treat yourself to a really good small vacuum (we heart Meile).
4. Use track lighting aimed at walls to free up floor space and create an expansive feeling.
5. Install lighting inside closets so you can see whats in there. They will be easier to maintain and you will gain the feeling of more space.
6. Clean your windows often so that more light comes in and your gaze is not blocked.
7. Buy really good cookware, tableware and linens (small luxuries go a long way).
8. Go wireless and transfer all your music to your computer. Sell all your CDs!
9. Use full spectrum light bulbs to energize and enliven your home.
10. Have lots of dinner parties. People socialize better in small spaces and social homes are better kept up.